Know the main advantages and disadvantages of Unix is a set of portable operating systems, multitasking and multiuser. Unix is a ffamily of operating systems developed since 1969. It is a product registered by the Novell trademark after purchasing the rights from AT&T Bell Labs. This trademark can only be applied to operating systems that comply with the “Single Unix Specification” of this organization and pay the established royalties. Linux and GNU are the most popular and significant Unix families.
Advantages of Unix (Pros):
- Very stable. The most stable operating systems. Some versions have been running for several years without failures.
- Some versions have been running for several years without failures.
- Portable. It is a portable operating system. Which makes it one of the most convenient operating systems.
- Efficient memory usage. Efficient memory usage management creates optimal system performance.
- Open systems. Ability to access different versions of the operating system and different programs.
- Multitasking. Allow to perform several tasks or run several programs at the same time.
- Tools. They offer a multitude of tools. Such as, for example, word processing tools.
Disadvantages of Unix (Cons):
- Lack of technical support. There is no technical service available which can delay the resolution of unforeseen bugs.
- Difficult to use. Unix is a difficult operating system to use compared to Windows or Mac Os. It is recommended for experienced users with a minimum of computer knowledge.
- It is recommended for experienced users with a minimum of computer knowledge.
- No quality control. Being open source many programs come from home environments. This can generate mistrust in the user.